Safety and Health Achievement Recognition Program (SHARP)
Want to attract the top employees in your area? Want to lower costs and have zero workplace injuries? Want to create an elite reputation within your industry?
These are all achievable goals through the Occupational Safety and Health Administration’s SHARP program. Become a SHARP-recognized facility and join an elite group of small businesses that meet, maintain, and continuously improve an exemplary safety and health program to protect their employees from workplace injuries and illnesses.
Benefits of Achieving SHARP
By achieving SHARP status, you will be granted exemption from OSHA programmed inspections for up to two years, and subsequent renewal for up to three years. SHARP status showcases that you as a company have built and maintained exemplary safety and health programs:
- Providing protection for your team members from all safety and health hazards
- Creating a culture of safety and health first within your workplace
- Building a reputation that will make you a leader in your industry and attract top employees
- Saving you money by lowering working compensation premiums, improving employee retention, and reducing worker days away from work
For more information on the SHARP benefits, click here.
How to Achieve SHARP
All companies that meet the following criteria will be SHARP eligible:
- Employ less than 250 employees at a fixed worksite and less than 500 employees nationwide
- Receive comprehensive surveys conducted by Georgia Tech’s Safety and Health Consultation Program for up to one year to identify hazards, evaluate injury history, and assess your safety and health management system
- Correct all identified safety and health hazards, and involve employees in the development, implementation, and operation of all elements necessary for an effective safety and health program
- Reduce Days Away, Restricted, or Transfer Rate (DART) and Injury Incidence Rate (IIR) to below the national average for your industry, based on at least one full year’s experience
- Agree to request additional consultative visits if major changes in the workplace conditions or processes introduce new hazards
To see a list of companies that have achieved SHARP status, click here.